Saturday, September 15, 2012

My First Salu-Salo

Teya's munting salu-salo
Remember the KCS seminar organized by the Auckland Chamber of Commerce? Well, one of the Pinay ladies there invited us to her son's 6th birthday celebration. Of course I had to go! It's about time that I'd go out and meet people. It's different when you're just tagging along and of course it's great if you're the one who's actually invited.

We've been exchanging a few emails me and the girls. So it's great to see them again on this cloudy & windy day. I had my eyes set on those baked clams. The barbeque was great and there was spaghetti, salad, biko, lasagna, and kaldereta. That's Teya's version of a munting salu-salo.

Just hours earlier, I was sitting in my room contemplating on whether or not I'd take that 30 minute walk to the mall. It was clearly windy outside and there's the forecast of rain. I probably would've cried the rest of the afternoon if I decided to just stay put. It was too quiet in the house and my flatmates were out. The weather just wasn't cheery at all. So despite the distance, I'm glad that I got myself talking to young folks, all Pinoys here at Remuera. I even had a tip for my job applications. That's my takeaway actually, apart from the boxed food that Teya packed for us. The guests were all young Pinoys who's only been here for less than a year and they just had the guts and perseverance that got them landing on their current jobs. So it was just chance that most of them were from the same high school, and that we were the new addition in Teya's small circle of friends. I'm actually looking forward to bringing my kids to her house so Max can play with Sam and Rose can play with Isha.

Don't you just love it when people just want to get together? Especially if they themselves love to play host? I did promise myself that the next time that we're having another get together, it'll be on me coz that's going to be on my first pay check!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kids Dealing with Boredom

It was a fine weekend but it was so humid last Sunday. I have updated the bedding and our wardrobes with summer items. I was starting to hav...