Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Lure of Gadgets and Video Games

I still get surprised to hear other parents complaining about how it's been difficult to get their kids off from devices. Some even said that they'd wish that these gadgets/ video games weren't invented.

I always thought that the answer's simple. Keep the devices away from the kids. If you let them play, then give a time limit. Also, the games/ activities should be age appropriate. Alan would often find a game where two people can play together. That way the kids are forced into working together, and figuring out the game together.

I didn't really pay much attention with the Pokemon Nintendo 2Ds. Turns out, it has a lot of tools that enables a child to be creative: making short videos, doodling on a photo, making animation, etc. Of course Alan already knew that hence he was so keen on getting it for the kids back then.

It does require effort from parents to learn what's out there to ensure that what you're giving your child is something that you can actually manage. I think it poses as a risk if you just give them all these devices/ access to the software/ sites without filtering. Kids do get carried away with whatever is the latest hype on devices and games at school. There's nothing wrong with not always giving into the hype. But we do make an effort to understand what it is that they're talking about. Then Alan evaluates whether it's worth giving it a go.

When Max was asking permission to play Fortnite, I was impressed with how he handled my version of no. I told him that it's not age appropriate and that he might end up addicted to the game. After clarifying what addiction means, he said it's not the only game that he will play anyway. He just wants to give it a go and play with his friends, but not all the time. He made it clear that he will practise restraint.

Now that's definitely a mature response than just insisting on wanting to play.

I'm not a gamer but Alan is. I don't see the point of spending for these gadgets/ software. I am old school so it will take a lot of convincing for me to agree on spending money on these things. My priorities are obviously different. But it's good to have Alan there filtering out these things for the family. At least the kids are not behind on their awareness of what technology offers. They're currently enjoying a balance of real and virtual play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kids Dealing with Boredom

It was a fine weekend but it was so humid last Sunday. I have updated the bedding and our wardrobes with summer items. I was starting to hav...