Monday, October 22, 2012

My Daily Walks

 I now take the train to go to work everyday and just getting there, to and from the house takes about 20 minutes of walking.Plus an additional 11minutes of walk from the train station to the office. I took a few shots to share my scenic route which I find interesting. The walk helps me clear up my head from the pressures of work. And even if it's only been just a week for me, I know I've got plenty to think about already. Lotsa things needs to be sorted and customers need to be tamed.

So off from the platform is a quick walk up the path and on to the left, crossing the bridge towards the Oratia Stream Walk and Cycle path. I chose to use this route on a daily basis instead of following the main roads since it's more quiet and I'm less at risk of being run down by stray vehicles. Cars drive fast in these roads and I do see some crash marks in the roadside reflectors. It could be fatal if a pedestrian is caught in the middle of it.
I rarely chance upon people who use this path. Once or twice I did came across a cyclist running towards the opposite direction. At past six on a spring evening, the path is still bright as the sun won't be setting until around 8pm. The trees with their dancing branches are the ones who greet me everyday. Sometimes they cast a shadow, other times they send a silent howl. Sometimes I see a kid or two playing with their dog within their backyard. Yes, people do live inside those houses bu you can't tell from the path if they're there or not. It's weird but I do feel a sense of comfort when I see a homeowner mowing their lawn or trimming their bush. It feels sad sometimes whenever I pass by this path. I can't help but think about all this space around me. I can't help but think about how my kids would love to run around the same path. It'll be a delight to see them thrilled with the open space, running and stumbling and then standing up and running again. That's how I remember Max when he was younger during our walk along Riverbanks. This is a much better place for him. And knowing that Rose is now busy on her feet. I'm sure both of them would be thrilled.

Now this looks like a common bush with pink leaves and I have seen this in other houses too. I could've composed this photo better but it's windy and my fingers were getting numb. I did try to capture the contrast of those pink leaves against the usual greens. I like that the picture came out nice and soft, though it looks a bit overexposed.

Somewhere near the end of the walk are these benches. I saw an old man sitting in one of those benches previously. He did look like a bum but I thought it's nice that you can always opt to sit down, relax a bit before you head on to the remaining 10 minutes of your walk. The path forks as you approach this part. I turn right to where the Millbrook Garden is, towards the exit to Millbrook Road.

Crossing the very busy Millbrook Road isn't easy but it should be safe because kids cross this road everyday to get to school. The Sunnyvale school sign tells me that I'm almost home which is great coz that means I'm just a few more minutes away. There is also another entrance from along Awaroa road but this is closer to the Oratia exit. And the view from here is great as you walk up towards the school. You're lead to a wide opening with a lovely grassy hill on the left. Sunnyvale Primary School is painted yellow and you know that it's for kids because of the artwork displayed on classroom windows. The pathways are open to the public and I did see some signs saying that the premises have security. And that there's a neighborhood watch around the place too.

Now after I cross the school grounds, I then exit towards Ribblesdale Road. I find the houses here as big and they usually have a few cars parked outside. It's the barn-type looking green house over on the left side of the road that caught my attention here. That isn't common in terms of architectural design but I guess the owner did a great job in maximizing their small space. I do see my neighbors here especially on weekends. One of the houses n the right loves to play loud music on a Sunday morning. And you do see people & kids hanging around on the deck. At the end of this road is View Road, and just a minute from the corner is the dairy and just across it, is our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kids Dealing with Boredom

It was a fine weekend but it was so humid last Sunday. I have updated the bedding and our wardrobes with summer items. I was starting to hav...